Printing has long been an integral aspect of doing business. In recent years people have witnessed a significant decrease in the necessity for printed materials. Despite this trend, many businesses continue to spend unnecessary resources on superfluous printing. Like every business, cost is a factor. We’ll offer you three valuable recommendations for consistently decreasing your printing expenses.
Encourage Digital Workflow and Paperless Practices
Creating a workplace culture that places value on paperless processes has never been simpler. Encourage employees to reconsider the need for physical prints and explore alternatives that reduce paper consumption. Some effective alternatives include:
- Digital documentation - Store, share, and collaborate on documents digitally, reducing the reliance on hard copies.
- Email and electronic signatures - Implement electronic signatures and email for approvals and contracts, eliminating the need for printing, signing, and scanning.
- Cloud-based storage - Utilize cloud-based storage to access documents from anywhere, reducing the demand for physical copies.
- Use PDFs - Share documents in PDF format, as it is more convenient for electronic viewing and sharing.
Implement Print Management
Today, software plays a pivotal role in streamlining and automating various aspects of business operations. Managing your company's printing endeavors becomes notably more efficient when you have the ability to oversee and control printing activities, establish printing quotas for employees, and define guidelines for printer usage in the workplace. Print management solutions offer a range of advantageous features, including:
- User authentication - Mandate employee authentication before printing, discouraging unnecessary or unauthorized printing.
- Print job tracking - Monitor who is printing what, when, and where, allowing you to pinpoint areas where cost-saving measures can be applied.
- Print job routing - Direct print jobs to the most cost-effective devices, such as black and white printers for text documents and color printers for marketing materials.
- Print quotas - Enforce limits on the number of pages or color prints each user or department can produce, fostering responsible printing practices.
Invest in Energy-Efficient Printers
While some printing remains unavoidable for certain businesses, you can make substantial cost-saving strides by investing in energy-efficient printers and sourcing recycled resources. Key considerations include:
- Energy-efficient printers - Opt for modern printers designed to minimize energy consumption in standby mode and during operation. Look for printers with Energy Star certification and other energy-efficient features.
- Duplex printing - Choose printers that support automatic duplex (double-sided) printing to reduce paper consumption.
- Compatible supplies - Employ remanufactured ink and toner cartridges, which are often more cost-effective.
- Recycle and reuse - Promote the recycling of empty ink and toner cartridges, and encourage employees to maximize the use of both sides of printed paper before disposal.
By putting these recommendations into practice, you can achieve long-term reductions in printing costs and foster a culture of sustainable and efficient printing within your organization. If you require assistance in establishing a print management program or simply wish to discuss your business' technology needs, please don't hesitate to contact our knowledgeable consultants at 407-478-6600 today.